Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Groundhog Day




I got my first package the other day from my parents and my buddy Frank B. Frank was a surprise but he knew I was out here and I think he has an understanding of what it's like to be away from the U.S. since he is stationed in the U.K. with the Air Force. Got beef jerky, Oreo cookies, and my cycling shoes!! Snacks are like gold here. We have an abundant amount of granola bars, crackers (cheese and peanut butter) kind, and top ramen. The good stuff that goes quick are the cookies, chocolate, and beef jerky so thankful for the snacks. 

Put my bike shoes to use with spin class 08OCT14 and it kicked my butt today. The music is loud enough for me to grunt and scream “ahhhhhh” “Let’s gooooo” to myself without my neighbor noticing or maybe they do notice and think “Damn this guy is pushing it and working hard!” Also, when it’s a good song good or beat I’m singing a long. On the play list today was Zedd “Clarity” that buildup to the drop just gets you excited to pedal. When the drop happened I peddled as fast as I could to the beat and singing out loud. Just writing about this makes me want to hop on the bike and start pedaling again or better yet be back at Coachella 2014. But I don’t care, I’m trying to push myself and keep up with the instructor having fun with it. I’m going to have to start bringing my phone to take a picture of the spin play list from some of these Danish instructors since the songs are so good. 

Like the “beast incarnate” Brrrrooockkkk Lessssssnnaaaarrrrrr and his simple routine of EAT-SLEEP-CONQUER-REPEAT (WWE reference for you non wrestling followers), I myself have got into a routine of EAT-SLEEP-WORK-DUTY-GYM-LEISURE TIME-REPEAT. There is only so much websites, social media, and book reading I can do. I don’t have a big selection of movies on the external hard drive mostly one’s I have seen before. Luckily the movie studios actually ship current movies i.e. Guardians of The Galaxy that haven’t come out on DVD yet on special discs that only play with a certain player that can't be commercially bought. The other night 09OCT14 in the middle of the night (1AM) I rode down to the hospital to drop off my laundry. Like I mention before I keep my night routine of staying up so night is my day and day is my night. Since my roommate is the “movie guy” the discs get sent to him and he coordinate movie nights for the hospital on a weekly basis. He also found a room in the clinic with a nice 48” LCD screen that is fairly private so he posts up there to watch movies at night. Caught him watching Guardians of The Galaxy which I saw earlier this year and enjoyed. Stayed to finish that and popped another disc in and watched The Purge Anarchy with him. It was a decent movie despite not seeing the first one although they are not linked from what I was told. 

It didn’t help that I had to bike back to my room in the empty streets of the base having an eerie feeling like I was in the movie. It was nice to catch a movie there because I would have just been holed up in my room with angst. I made the mistake of purchasing the slower speed of Internet thinking I could get by with it. Social media and websites wise it works fine, but streaming purposes it doesn’t do crap. So waiting till my 30 days is up to get the higher speed cause I see how much of a difference it makes and supposedly Netflix works! Another nice little change of the night was….taco night! It’s generally always American type cuisine at Niagara DFAC so when they have their special cuisines of the night it’s always a welcome change from the monotony. The other day they had lumpia! It was a good day of change from the routine. These little things make a difference as it starts to feel like the movie Ground Hog Day. I’ve been on this jalapeƱo phase as of late for breakfast. It has been an added flavor/change from the regular breakfast menu for me don’t know how long It will last. Met a retired USN Master Chief (E-9) Filipino at breakfast, he randomly started talking to me while grabbing food so I made the effort to sit down with him and chat. In his early to mid 60’s from Chino, CA last name Malig older than my dad it was interesting to listen to him say he has been out here for 2 years! Retired from the navy, wife back home and grown up children but he enjoys the work and most importantly $$$$

Can't believe I'm starting to feel the angst already less than a month in, just means have to keep busy in different ways constantly.

2 comments:

SEANtinuity said...

Lol'd at the thought of you screaming to yourself on your bike. I hope someone posts you on Reddit or something one of these days.

Hang in there, leader! You always find something to break up the monotony, no matter where you are.

Marc R. said...

SEANtinuity: Hah no doubt I will, I'm just being a WWE Diva. #firstworldproblems with the internet connection. Not as bad as it sounds.

I want to go to a spin class with your girl sometime, you should join her in one!