Here is my first post of 2015 coming to you from Kandahar
where I have been for several months now. It has been just over a month since
my last post and not much has been going on other than our first real MASCAL
event. Unfortunately our fallen soldier http://freedomremembered.com/index.php/ssg-matthew-r-ammerman/
didn’t have much of a chance when he arrived here but I know everyone gave
their best efforts. Although we were feeling the effects off the draw down a
few of our troops were still going outside for missions. It was surreal to
listen to some of their stories and see the effects of the events. I will never
forget some of the faces of emotions that I saw this day.
Not much else happened the rest of December.
Instead of working primarily nights we switched to a 36 hours on 36 off
schedule which has worked out for the better. I do get to sleep in those 36
hours so it is not 36 straight. I did put quiet the amount of hours at the
USO a total of 51 hours for the month. It was nice to be there during the
holidays as it was another group of people to be around other than the
hospital. They did a “12 Days of Christmas” event which they raffled off prizes
and it brought excitement and joy to people who never really came by the USO.
December brought the end of the Copenhagen contract for the
NATO gym employees much to our dismay. That means our favorite Danish trainers
for spin and one on one instruction were leaving and no more in my opinion best
spin classes I’ve ever taken. Got a group photo which will be part of my
deployment collection to be remembered and talked about.
I caught most of the Chargers games In December although not
full games it was still enough to get excited and feel depressed with the wins
and losses.
Our holiday party here is one to be remembered for ages. It
brought out different sides of people that I didn’t expect in a good way. Once
the music got playing it was as if I was part of EDC for a moment the staff
jumping up and down dancing with their hand s in the air to EDM and just having
a good time. Christmas was pleasant since I had the day off. I was able
to FaceTime with the family back home as they had their traditional Christmas
Eve celebration.
New Year’s Eve I luckily had off and was able to attend the
G3 party and Glow party. The G3 personnel are TCN’s (third country nationals)
here on contracts that make better wages than their home country and make their
living out here. Without them the little things wouldn’t get done and everyone
here is grateful they around. Many are Filipinos from the PI hard working and
just as nice as you would expect. They were hospitable when we arrived always
encouraging us to eat and get involved in their games. After our time there
made my way to the “Glow Party” held by the USO and MWR and it was as close to
a real NYE party as it can get even having “near beer” (nonalcoholic). Headed
to my room shortly after the countdown to greet family and friends back home,
although I am 12 hours ahead I had the free time.
As I finished 2014 away from home for the past 5 months and
deployed in another country I reflect back on the start of the journey of 2014.
From ringing in the New Year with a mini fling , spending my 30th
B-day in Brooklyn, NY with friends and my bro, spending time with Grandma Mel
from Union City on the USS Midway, cousin John John’s wedding, Audrey Cho’s
baptism, countless local brewery outings with the guys, my first Coachella,
birth of Cameron Quach, Miles Domondon, purchased my Prius, My last LA trip
Memorial weekend with the Lao brothers and Mr. Cacho. finding out I was
deploying, a memorable summer of beach times, Padre game, having Randy visit 29
Palms and Palm Springs, going away picnic, training for deployment, and
deployment itself.
These are just a few of the many I experiences I had in 2014
my first year in my 30’s. I look forward to what 2015 has to bring and I will
be back in the states sooner than I think. Passed the half way mark here and I
will be looking to make some moves and continue to grow when I get back and spend time with friends
and family I have missed since being out here. Cheers to 2015
No comments:
Post a Comment