Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Madrid, Spain


Madrid surprised me with what it had to offer. I had no expectations didn't research in depth on places to go or have a daily game plan but it all worked out. I had never been to Spain in my previous travels to Europe but  left with a feeling "I could come back again some day or wouldn't mind living here." I caught a late afternoon flight Saturday from Naples to Madrid where it's geographically located central Spain. First impression was how massive the airport terminal and modern it is.

Met up with my friends Andy and Liz who had a Air BnB in a neighborhood what felt like Brooklyn. Hip and lots of restaurants around. Their accommodation was a nice 1 bedroom studio which utilized the space well for its size with modern furnishings from what it felt like IKEA. Grabbed some Tapas caught up on life, GOT talk, ice cream, Euro Cup match (Germany vs. Italy), beers at a bar which was down the street from Real Madrid FC stadium (think Yankee stadium but for Soccer), walked the streets post LGBT pride week parade (if only you could've seen the outfits on these "men," went to a club (not typical club I'm used to, Rock music was the genre but there was a dance floor for it. Think EDM club with fans but rock music playing) was "different" for me to experience.

Andy and Liz were in Madrid for a wedding of Liz's friend who married a Spaniard. From the snaps the wedding was gorgeous and the groom "took care" of the guests even the night after when I joined them. He definitely knows how to host and take care of people which I was fortunate enough to join in the fun.

Funny story on our 430AM walk back to the place we were hungry and saw a group of people in lined up along the building. We looked and thought about standing in line when Liz asked what it was for. Turns out it was a bath house and it was all men in line waiting to...(I'll let your mind run wild here) lol.

After just a few hours of sleep I separated from Andy and Liz as they headed up to San Sebastián, Spain. They offered for me to join them too and I thought about it but traveling back and forth from there and Madrid would've been too much of a hassle. I booked a hostel in central Spain made my way down there via walking and attended mass at the cathedral next to the Royal Palace. Madrid's cathedral is newer and not as old as you would think compared to other European cathedrals. Didn't understand anything at mass but same concept. Admired and took pics of the Royal Palace (equivalent to Kensington Palace) and made my way to Cats Hostel. I stumbled across Mercado De San Miguel much to my delight because it's exactly what Liberty Station or LA Grand Central market is. They had all you can ask for when looking for local Spanish cuisine Pallea (so good, seafood), endless tapas, seafood, wine, pork, and dessert definitely a foodie spot.

The hostel was centrally located with restaurants, historical sites, bars, and shopping around. I checked in as soon as I was able to because I needed a siesta from only a few hours of sleep. I opted for the mixed dorm style male/female cheapest and going for that hostel experience. It was a 16-20 person room with bunk and single beds but it wasn't at max capacity more like 30%. My first thought walking in "was I in the right room?" Because there were 4-5 females in there and no men a little awkward at first but I was too tired to mind and took a nap.

Thank goodness for Google maps, four square, and Yelp as these were my go to apps to help me choose and find spots. Grabbed a coffee down the street and was solicited to buy some drugs in a discreet way. Explored the area around ate some tapas for dinner and watched a Euro Cup Match between France and Ireland at a bar. Made my way back to the hostel and joined fellow travelers at the bar where they offer cheap drinks and mingled with people.  Majority were Australian, Americans, few Canadians, and a mix of other countries. Slept well as my bunk was tucked in the corner away from the door and bathroom no bunkmate and nice cool AC.

Joined the free walking tour that the hostel offers with other travelers and met some people from SF who had been planning this trip for 2 years and going on 6 weeks. It was a nice short tour where we got a brief history on historical landmarks. Did you know the oldest restaurant in the world is in Madrid? It has the Guiness world record cert to prove it. After the tour I did a lot and I mean a lot of walking getting lost and exploring sites. One spot I'm glad I went to was Círculo de Bellas Artes rooftop bar overlooking Madrid. Would have never found this spot if not for the local guide.  

Made my way back to the hostel for my siesta again and it was a hot day. For dinner I found a sushi spot that was amazing. I know Spain-Sushi but I was craving it and Italy's quality is sub-par and this restaurant was really fresh and good. I was all tapas and paella out by then. It was in a market off the street where I felt like Anthony Bourdain walking through admiring all the fresh organic ingredients.

Stumbled across a beer shop called Be Hoppy. Was amazed with the amount of US and San Diego craft beer they had in selection. Friendly owners and even got them to follow @brewstills. Made my way back to the the rooftop bar caught a little bit of sunset and enjoyed Sangria. Opted to not keep the party going at the hostel bar and called it a night.

Madrid notes:

-a lot cleaner than Naples and more organized driving
-quality of food was amazing definitely a foodie type city
-first hostel experience was a success and would definitely do it again even though I was older than half of the travelers, although I did see some adult trackers staying at the hostel
-sucks to only speak and understand English. So many Europeans understand/speak at least 2-3 languages to get by. I know shit and would have to use google translate. One German traveler knows German, English, and Spanish.
-pick pocketing is real. happened in front of me and I didn't notice (I didn't get pick pocketed but a traveler did)
-totally different energy at night. Sun doesn't set until 945PM dinner is busier from 8-11PM streets are more packed in the evening than day
-outdoor seating is essential
-neighborhood where I stayed had literally 4 restaurants for every 1 person! Saturated with food spots left and right bars not too far behind I'm amazed these places are able to stay a float.
-2 maybe 3 days is all you need in Madrid and you can make your way to another city

--
Best Regards,

Marc Reyes

No comments: