Friday, October 5, 2007

Nice Article

I was in the airport today waiting for my flight to board and I picked up the USA Today paper next to me. I've always enjoyed reading the newspaper in general and especially USA Today because of all the interesting and relevant articles. If I had a choice between reading my news online or through paper, I would choose paper. There's just a personal satisfaction of reading the the paper as if it is just you one on one with it and no other distractions.

So an article that I came across today was something you do not read or hear about everyday in the news. Here's the article, read it and let's see if you have the same opinion as me.

www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-10-04-goatmeat_N.htm


So after reading it I was impressed and glad to see that article was in a nationwide newspaper. In todays news and society we hear a lot of ignorant things about races, religion, and different types of people in general. We stereotype and generalize things/people/culture that is different and have no idea what they are all about without giving a thought on learning about it.

I guess people get defensive when they are scarred about what is different and what they do not know about. They voice their opinion on something they know little about and that may be their defense mechanism.

So what I took from reading this article is with our society today and how the media portrays muslims (a "different culture") is this farmer embraced a culture with open arms and the muslim culture embraced him. Two different types of cultures formed a formidable business in where it works out for both parties.

This just doesn't have to be about the muslim faith/culture it could be applied to any other culture/faith and teach a lot of people a thing or two.

No comments: