Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Fort McGrady Processing

24AUG14

Today we had a scheduled brief In where they brought 2 Afghani-American citizens to speak and introduce us to Afghanistan culture. The guy brought a unique perpescrive that came much to my surprise. He basically appreciates the U.S. being there doing what we're doing although towns have been destroyed the rebuilding is for the better and has made the country stronger.

25AUG14
Not much to today as it was gear issue. Shit just got real as we got our body armor and bullet proof vests. Although as medical personnel and working in hospital there should be no reason to have to use this gear once there in theater. When they or I use the term theater they mean " in country." Barring any crazy attack or WW3 we should be OK (knocking on wood) but we understand the importance of this training. Like the previous one in Pendleton barring any significant incident we would have the tools needed to do what needs to get done which is kill!

26AUG14
Weapons issue was the main agenda of the day. After that it was a whole lot of class time which consist of what we in the Navy call "death by powerpoint."

27AUG14
Started off with more classroom briefs but ended up simulation fire on a screen with the 9mm pistol. Now when it comes to these weapons safety is obviously the main goal here considering I'd say over 75% of us don't handle a firearm on a regular basis. I haven't even shot a gun since boot camp before that I'd never shot a gun.

28AUG14
When I say the days are long I mean we're up early by 6AM and in the classroom or training till 6PM then straight to dinner. 12 hour shifts never bothered me before but when it is training or on someone else's schedule the day seems endless. It amazes me how much can get done in one day.

The simulation rollover is exactly as it sounds a roller over in a vehicle as if you were on a convoy  and the vehicle tipped over. Some of the older folks did awesome considering the somewhat physical demand of the training and kudos to them. Simulation shooting for the m4 rifle was another training and here I switched shooting hands and eye. Although I've been shooting left handed with left eye dominant always, today the instructor told me to switch to right handed and right eye dominat due to my poor shooting left handed. I am proficient left handed with the 9mm but for some reason on the m4 I switch, kinda in unusual.

29AUG14 Range Day
Today was a long day at the range for 9mm pistol qualification.  Up at 4AM to eat get quick safety briefs and shooting by 8. Our company is bravo which consists of about 80 sailors divided I to four platoons. Considering the size of our company it took sometime to get everyone through with qualifications. One of the more exciting ones was a semi obstacle course where we moved from one station to another hitting 1 of 3 targets. First try up I got 18 of 18 shots on target much to my surprise, but one 2nd attempt dropped to 12 of 18 due to fatigue. Hopefully I at least qualified for sharpshooter as I have already got marksman in boot camp. I just want to put that S on my ribbon.

30AUG14 Range Day Part 2
We were on a different range today for "grouping" the m4 rifle. I was having difficulty group and it got to my head mentally as I struggled the rest of the time with my shot. Although it's fun shooting bullets and targets the pressure mounts when you are one of the last few on the range still shooting. Being an ambidextrous person (write with my right hand, play sports with my left hand, eat with my left hand long story short is supposed to be true lefty but parents tried to convert me right as a kid) so back to being an ambidextrous person I thought I'd be a true lefty shooter. Shoot fine as a true left on the 9mm but apparently with the m4 I'm a right eye dominant right handed shooter for some reason according to the instructor. All sorts of f'd up I know.

Got the IED training today and seeing videos of the destruction these weapons can do is insane. I shouldn't be going outside of the wire but man much respect to those who tread the rocky ground that is IED laid.

I had one of those movie scene moments or what I like to categorize as "step back and appreciate the now" type moments on the bus ride back to base from th e range. Let me set it up by saying it was our 6th straight day of training long hours, it's a hot humid Saturday just finished shooting on the range, we wear about 20-30 pounds of gear on us while on the range kevlar vests and helmet, and looking forward to ending the day for liberty and the next day off. Drill instructor has the radio playing and Journey "don't stop believing" comes on and without skipping a beat the majority of the bus starts singing along and small smiles were on faces at the same time. Wish I could have recorded the moment because it's one of those type of moments where you appreciate music and see the universal factor and how it can connect so many people from different parts in one moment of time.

So liberty commenced and my buddy Soriano who grew up in SD actually had a car on base here waiting for him. His sister is actually stationed here in the army and was nice enough to drop off her car to let him use and go around. We hit up this area called 5 points which is a mix of Hillcrest/north park meets PB. University of South Carolina is down the road so definitely a college atmosphere. We had pho which I don't usually eat as I prefer ramen. There was a good cookie place next door and anyone who knows me knows I'm a cookie fiend. 

Downtown Columbia is nothing compared to gaslamp but they make do with what they have in literally a 4 block radius.  Ended up going to a gentleman's club where we spent almost 5 hours good times good times. So thankful I got to tag along with my buddy cause we stayed at his sisters place and boy did it feel nice to not sleep in the barracks.

31AUG14
We scooped up the rest of the MAFIA (military association filipinos in america) back on base grabbed some groceries and had a nice home cooked meal for lunch sinigang, bbq pork, and corn on the menu. After eating galley food all week and MRE's (meal ready to eat) it was comfort food to eat that sinigang filling our bellies and warming our hearts.

A buddy I met here turns out we went to Sandberg Elementary together and have a mutual friend with. He's another pinoy brother but he's a coconut like me. We both don't speak tagalog but can somewhat understand it. We are the minority as the rest of our MAFIA group 5 of 7 were born in PI and speak tagalog.  It's a different dynamic being on the outside looking in missing out on the tagalog jokes and the cultural heritage of my ethnicity but they do there best to include us In the jokes and convos. We chime in here and there when we can understand the topic of a convo. So there has been a trend amongst them and that is that they find out I'm a 30 year old bachelor so they have an idea in their heads to try and set me up with one of their friend's,  cousins, or sister in law. Kinda funny and awkward as I don't know how to tell them no.

The first week of this training at NIACT has come to an end bring on the 2nd and AFG here I come!

No comments: