Monday, August 25, 2014

NEMTI

Navy expeditionary medical tactical training is where I trained for a week 15Aug-23 2014. Situated on the north site of Camp Pendleton (didn't know it existed) in San Onofre. Not knowing what to expect while I was there but coming out I have a new outlook.

It's the change I needed from the monotony of NHTP nothing wrong with where I was but to go through the training at NEMTI is one I can't forget. The days were long, classes were boring at times, food was decent, living quarters weren't ideal but comfortable, and pushed you physically and mentally.

First 3 days are focused on TCCC (tactical combat casualty care). There are so many acrynomns it's hard to keep up with. Here we basically train and learn the principles and way to care for the wounded in the field of battle. My thoughts and many other's questioned themselves "why do I need this? Or when am I going to ever use this?" After being trained by personnel who have been deployed and have gone through this in not training but the real-deal life shit those questions we had go right out the door.

There is no such thing as too much knowledge so embrace it go with it and learn what needs to be learned. You may not use it ever again data dump it if need be but if a situation were to ever arise muscle memory may kick in from the training. At the end of TCCC there's a simulated event where we were full battle ready, simulated enemies, and simulated casualties where we put what we learned to the test. Let me tell you that muscle memory does kick in the adrenaline is running although simulated you are doing your best to care for the patient. Some didn't take it as serious which made for comic relief but that's a story that needs to be told in person.

I may have mentioned this in previous post but there are over 40 of us a mix of doctors, nurses, corpsman and miscellaneous personnel majority resevist. It has brought a unique dynamic to this process as this will be half or the group that will be together for the next 8 months.  It's fascinating to watch the socio dynamic process as we move along. Enlisted hang with enlisted, nurses with nurses, and physicians with physicians. Everyone is still friendly to each other no matter what the profession which is awesome to see. Since a majority are reservist it brings more of a relaxed attitude to the group but at the same time everyone is professional enough to know when to turn it on. I always looked at the class and thought to myself you can't find this anywhere else but here to be surrounded by an array of talent coming together for one purpose.

Liberty (time off) at the end of the day was much needed to decompress, relax, or burn some steam at the gym. Surprisingly there was amazing wifi throughout the compound which allowed for facetiming, skyping,  or surfing the Internet.

After completing the TCCC course I thought we'd be in cruise control but there was more to train for. One of the highlights of the days was when they brought in 4 individuals from the wounded warriors. I thought wounded warriors were the amputees but they are a group of not only amputees, any Individual who was Injured in the field. Some of them brought  some heavy hearted stories where they saw or know someone who passed in the field. It was hard for me to grasp, understand or even come to their level in terms of experiencing what they experienced but what I took away from their discussion is they are proud of their experiences,  people around them, and enjoy telling their stories. Not all may feel the same but these individuals I had the pleasure to listen to seem to express that. One of the corpsman who had a marine pass on him walks around with a heavy heart and makes me have an infinite amount of respect for him. LOL to low in ski 5th marines

NEMTI was an experience that can be described as being at medical field type sumer camp. They are a unique command in that many people don't know about them and they run their own show.  No saluting policy, many different rates, and location. The week here was definitely a comroderie builder amongst us. Though this is the early stages who knows where we will be at as a group 8 months from now probably

Quotes for thought from the week:

"It is what it is, but it's what you make of it"

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

In terms of having a drink "never none, always 1, sometimes 2, and never 3" Commander Kruthnuff

*sorry for any typos but typing on tablet is difficult with DROID auto correct and I tried to edit any mistakes before posting. Pics will come later when I get the chance.

No comments: